These fragments I have shored against my ruins. -T.S. Eliot

These fragments I have shored against my ruins.  -T.S. Eliot

Saturday, April 19, 2014

My Own Desert Places




















     "For the desert is simply that:… an ecstatic form of disappearance."
  -Jean Baudrillard

   ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



   "You don’t need me. What you really need is a mirror. Because any stranger is for you simply a mirror in which to reflect yourself. I don’t ever again want to return to such a desert of mirrors."
-Kōbō Abe

    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


You are there
for an instant Blue desert
with dunes of rain Thirst is granted
Space is a breach You burn in the night
whose walls are down I see by your oil
by the wick in the middle where a flame blossoms
-Edmond Jabès, excerpt from “After the Deluge,” If There Were Anywhere but Desert: The Selected Poems of Edmond Jabès
Image: Max Scheler, Art Class for Retired Ctizens, Sun Valley, Arizona, 1962
Title: Robert Frost, “Desert Places”